Craters

Remember how I said before that I was a little bit of a drama queen sometimes? Well, I began my morning with a text to my mom that said, "I think I'm getting my first cavity. It is crushing my soul."

I have always been pretty proud of my teeth. I have gone my entire life without a single cavity, and that really made me happy. I guess pride was my downfall, though. In fact, I literally had this conversation with my father-in-law within the last month where we were talking about teeth and I kind of smugly said, "well, I've never had a cavity before!" and he said, "don't worry, you will." I remember thinking to myself, "I really don't think I will..." or something to that effect, I'm sure. In any case, I know I thought it wouldn't happen. REALLY, ERIN?!?!?! AFTER THE PAST YEAR YOU HAD YOU GO AND THINK SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!?!?!?! COME ON!!!!!!


Anyway, I guess you could say I don't care much for dentists. I mean, I like having my teeth cleaned, and I certainly like being told I don't have cavities, but I suppose I'm always terrified that they're going to tell me I do have a cavity. I'm even more afraid of what will happen after that. For me, going to the dentist has always been an in-and-out sort of operation where I walk in, they clean my teeth, I say "thank you," they give me a tooth brush and I'm on my merry way.

Did anyone ever watch Doug? I keep thinking of that episode when he got a cavity and had to go get it filled and he was BUGGING OUT the whole episode. That would be me. Ok, maybe I'm not that bad, but I'm not happy. I keep thinking maybe I'm imagining things and maybe it'll be a false alarm, but I think this one might actually be for real. I might actually have my first cavity. I want to just forget about it, but I know if it actually is a cavity and I leave it alone it will be much worse. I just need to get it over with and face my fear. I'm writing about this not because it is incredibly significant, but I've said from the beginning that I was going to be really honest about things that were happening in my life. Also, I learned what I believe is an important lesson. One I've learned many, many times, and one I will probably learn a couple hundred more times before I die. God is awesome like that. If at first you don't get something, He'll keep teaching you. He will never, ever give up on you.


Pride is a nasty thing. We should only boast in our Father and His love for us. It's a hard lesson to learn. I don't believe my cavity is punishment in any way...and, hey, there may not even be a cavity! I can't even tell you how many times I've been CONVINCED I had a cavity until I got to the dentist to hear "all clear!" A girl can dream, right? Until then, I'm going to focus on how deep the Father's love for me is. He is continually molding me, and whether I have teeth or not, I will praise Him. (Dear Lord, please let me keep my teeth!!!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic