A Few of My Favorite Things: Part 2

Last September, I wrote a post titled A Few of My Favorite Things that was mostly about things I have discovered in my medical journey. Now, anything is game. Hope you enjoy!

Also, does anyone else automatically begin singing trying to sing like Julie Andrews any time you hear someone discuss their favorite things?? No? Just me?



1. Ree Drummond - aka, Pioneer Woman

I feel like she just gets me. This woman is my favorite chef, cookbook author, tv personality, soul sister (hah), and various other things that I just admire. Seriously, I want to be Ree when I grow up! Not only are her recipes pure gold, but she has this way about her that is quirky, funny, and totally relatable. Other food network people may be pretty, or friendly-looking, but she is the first one I have ever wanted for a friend. She is an amazing mom, wife, cook, and person. I mean, I guess she could be putting on a mask, but I seriously doubt it. Just read her cook book, or her blog for that matter. It's filled with hilarious little bits of personality. Seriously, go check her out.
Here's a post she wrote about some of her best recipes:
"Simply the best, food edition"
But let's get real...they're all incredible.


2. Chromecast

This little gem is one of the newest creations on the market from Google. Randy happened to be one of the first however many to order one before they sold out and we LOVE it. First off, it was only $35...what's not to love about cheap technology? Second, it came with 3 months of free Netflix for the first couple hundred or so (I could be way off with these numbers, but I know it cut off after so many people) so technically, it was only about $11 because it saved us money we would have already spent on 3 months of Netflix. Can I get an "amen?"
So here's how it works: you plug it into your tv. If your tv doesn't have an HDMI plug, they have a way to hook it up anyway. It's awesome. Then, you set it up with your wifi, and BOOM. Then, you can "cast" Netflix, or YouTube, etc. on your tv. It doesn't stream it from your phone or tablet, though...it (and this is me trying to remember what Randy told me...) basically pulls it from space (haha) and starts its own, but it makes your phone or tablet into a giant remote control...you can pause, stop, start a new show, etc. but it doesn't drain your battery and you can still do other things while the show/movie is playing. They're adding new programs, but for now it really only does Netflix and YouTube...maybe a few more, but those are the only ones I use. I'm boring, I know.






3. Crunch Girl Scout Cookies:
Peanut Butter Crème

Seriously. Do I need to say more?
I found them at Walgreens...

Go get some NOW

In fact, I'll be right back!







4. My Ninja Blender

Randy got me this after I used his mom's and I LOVE it! It is probably the best blender I have ever used, and the cleanup is fast and actually cleans it! I used to be really grossed out by blenders because one of my roommates in college had a blender and it was absolutely impossible to clean the very bottom of it...even if you did get the thing unscrewed to take the bottom off, it never went back on right and you had a runny mess all over your counter. I wouldn't consider myself a full-blown germaphobe, but I cannot handle it if dishes are not 100% clean! (at least to my eye/touch)
If I can see food crusted on it after it comes out of the dishwasher, then it gets soaked in the sink, possibly scrubbed some more, then put right back in the dishwasher. Fortunately, our dishwasher is amazing and rarely leaves anything unless it's really, really crusted on there. Still, a rare thing. I love it.

Anyway, the blade actually pulls out of this blender, much like a food processor, and goes into the dishwasher separately. In fact, all parts of this blender except the stand that holds the gears will go into the dishwasher. It also blends things up really well...something I consider important for a blender ;)

While it is a little pricy, my set (pictured above) came with a food processor that has separate steel (for salsas, sauces, or veggies) and hard plastic blades (in case you wanted to make cookie dough or something) a large blender, 2 individual serving blender cups with a special blade as well as lids, and the base that controls it all. Definitely a sound investment and one I would make again in a heart beat.


5. Flying

I have always loved flying. My first flight was long before I can remember, but since then I have been on way too many airplanes to count. Starting around age 9, I flew back and forth between my parents, 4 planes each trip, and I loved it. That ended when I was 15 or so, but the love of travel has remained. If it wouldn't keep me away from Randy and force me to talk to rude, crazy people, I could totally be a flight attendant.
Flying is definitely on my mind tonight as I write this because I am getting on a plane around 10 this morning to go see my family in Arizona. Most importantly, I'm going to see my precious grandmother. Not that the others aren't important - I love them to death! But she is probably my favorite person on earth other than Randy. I grew up with her next door to me, and almost all of my memories of childhood include her. I can always share my heart with her, and she is always willing to do the same. I haven't seen her since last February, and I am only spending 4 days there, but I hope to be back sometime soon. Here is one of my favorite pictures of all time. Randy took it for us the October before we got married (2011), when we were visiting so he could meet the rest of my sweet family.



6. SLEEPING!!!

Lately, I have actually enjoyed sleeping! In my last post, I mentioned how I'm trying to sleep like a normal person, and since then I have actually enjoyed sleep! I have had maybe 1/3 or less of the nightmares I normally have, and I feel SO much better! Seriously, the first 2 or 3 days were like getting over jet lag. I really think I was constantly "jet lagged" without a schedule...maybe I should call it "life lagged?" No? Okay.
Anyway, I am much better now. I had strep a few days in there, so my schedule was a little wacky then, but for the most part it is going really well. Except tonight...as I'm writing this it's 1:30am. I tried to sleep at 11, but I wasn't able to. Probably because Randy took me to one of my favorite restaurants (Grimaldi's Pizza) and I got a chocolate cheesecake for dessert, but got it to go because we were both stuffed. I just can't pass up chocolate cheesecake. 
So I didn't think about the fact that I'm leaving at 8am to head to the airport, and the hours kept going by and we hadn't eaten it yet. No way was I going to leave it, or heaven forbid let it go bad in the refrigerator!!! So what did I do? I ate the whole slice (minus a few bites...Randy decided he didn't want much -_-) at 8:45. I just felt disgusting as I was laying in bed, so full I could have burst. So here I am...in the living room...trying to digest. That'll teach me.
Hopefully I'll get back into my schedule soon. I was growing rather fond of it.


In other news, my summer class is over! Now 2 weeks of rest (minus the 4 days I'll be running around in AZ) before the real world calls me back. Hopefully I'll be starting yoga soon, so that should definitely aid in the stress relief. I could use it right now. 

Have an incredible day and hopefully an incredible end to your summer! 
Thank you for reading!
Feel free to comment or share! 

Blessings,
E



Comments

  1. So I started to read your blog, and from the very beginning I definitely found myself singing "Rain drops on roses, and whiskers on kittens,bright copper kettles, and warm woolen mittens. Brown paper packages tied up with string; these are a few of my..." Ha ha!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic