Recipe Love : Peach Cobbler Edition

So I have a new recipe that I am cuckoo for cocoa puffs over.
Well, sorta...I never liked cocoa puffs...

You get the picture anyway, right?


I hate telling people what this recipe calls for until they actually eat it, because anyone who knows the ingredients before they eat it will usually only eat it because they don't believe me when I say it's amazing. I don't blame them. If someone had told me what was in it before I ate it I probably would have been a big food snob about it, depriving myself of something glorious.

So what am I yapping on about?
P E A C H C O B B L E R !
Aka: my favorite dessert, ever.

For the record, my dad makes an incredible peach cobbler...one many would call the best cobbler they've ever eaten. It is delicious, but it is also time consuming. I don't mind spending time on food, but sometimes you just don't have the time, ya know? Can I get an "amen"?

So do yourself a favor and give this recipe a chance...then memorize it.

So here goes. One of my favorite recipes of all time.
I give you Aunt Lavonna's Peach Cobbler:


Aunt Lavonna (Randy's Aunt) calls this her "1" recipe, but I call it my "2" recipe because I double it :) The recipe below is my doubled version...you'll see what I mean about "2" in a second.

Ingredients: 
2- 16oz bags of frozen peaches (don't defrost them)
2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of flour
1 loaf of white bread - this is the secret ingredient. You'll probably need 10ish pieces...


Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 350ºF

Get a 9x13 glass dish and pour your peaches into the bottom. I like to spread them out and make them mostly flat so nothing is poking up too high

Cut the crusts off of the bread slices and cut each one into 4 squares. Place squares onto peaches in one single layer (you can kind of tell in the photo above)
This is where making sure the peaches are flat comes in handy.

Next, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Once melted or mostly melted, whisk in the sugar, eggs, and flour.

Once mixed well and kind of creamy looking, pour the mixture over the bread and peaches. Try to completely cover the bread...if I ever have some that isn't covered I use a plastic spatula to gently spread it around.

Bake at 350ºF for 40min-1hr...possibly more or less.
Just until the crust is nice and golden brown (like the photo)


Please don't knock it 'til you try it. Everyone I know who has tried this has called it incredibly delicious, and some have even called it the best peach cobbler they've ever had. The crust caramelizes so perfectly. It is light, chewy, and crisp all at once! You wouldn't have known it was bread if I hadn't spilled the beans.

Even better, it takes about 15 minutes, or less, to prepare, AND the last time I made it I bought everything but the eggs and it cost me almost exactly $10. WIN!



I normally stick a Bible verse here, but I'd like to just leave a quote today because it is fantastically appropriate...especially since Randy hates peaches. It kills me. 
I guess I love him anyway ;)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic