Giving Thanks

THANKSGIVING! 
I feel like Thanksgiving is so under-appreciated. Especially this year...
Is Thanksgiving later than normal this year? I'm the kind of person that prefers holidays in order (read: celebrating Christmas AFTER Thanksgiving) but even I have been getting a little antsy for Christmas this past week. Maybe that has more to do with the fact that we've been decorating for Christmas at work for the last 3 weeks?

Back to the point: Thanksgiving!
I'm really excited that it's finally the week of Thanksgiving. We're celebrating on Thursday and Friday (mostly Friday) this year due to everyone's schedule, so I find myself really confused about which day is which this week. Thursday should be a quiet afternoon. Randy's parents are coming to our house and I'm making my dad's chili :) Randy's dad said he wanted chili, so I'm making it! I think it's perfect for the cold, and I definitely don't want more turkey than I have to eat this week, haha. Let's mix it up a bit!

I'm gonna be honest, though...
I think the reason I'm most excited for Friday is because I'm making my family's super duper famous banana pudding! My dad, mom, & Mema all make this and it is always scraped clean. My dad is well known back in our small town in Kentucky for his cooking and I have literally seen people fighting to be in line for his banana pudding at potlucks...often before they even get their food! It's my first time making it, and I'm a wonderful mixture of nervous and excited. I just want to make it NOW! I'm also making green bean casserole, which is one of my all-time favorites! It should be a few days with lots of cooking and family - 2 things I love dearly.

I am so thankful for so much this year.
I'm thankful for my salvation in Jesus and God's love, provision, grace, and His many blessings I certainly do not deserve. I'm thankful for my dear husband, who loves me even when I'm not very loveable. I'm thankful for my family - whether blood, blended, or by marriage - I am beyond blessed! Same goes for my friends! I have such wonderful friends. I'm thankful for my furry baby, Pepper, too :)
I'm also thankful for doctors and their knowledge, and medicine. I'm thankful for a job in a time when having a job isn't easy, and so many other things. I could fill 30 more blog posts!

As for Black Friday, you certainly won't find me camping out at a store in the wee hours of dawn. I have never really been a fan of it all, but more power to you if you are! I'd rather sleep! Randy and I usually find ourselves at the store much later in the day (like, 4-6pm) and they are EMPTY! Just the way I like it! No stress, no chaos, no trampling! We go at our own pace and we still find killer deals! We usually even forget it's black friday! We just happen to feel like Christmas shopping and we happen to both have free time to spend with one another.

Health Update:
My health is doing well for the most part. It took me a little over 2 weeks to get over the cold I wrote about in my last post. That was crazy! Last week I was coughing a little, but that didn't seem to be a big deal. I thought I had the flu over the weekend, though. After coughing most of the day Friday (how the flu began for me last year), I woke up Saturday and my head was KILLING ME! Oh, it hadn't been so bad since my new medicine had made my daily migraines go away. I felt awful, but nothing too bad other than my head. Then, I sat on the couch and one of the worst pains I have ever felt shot through the back of my head and almost felt like it was rippling through to the front. It was insane how badly it hurt. All I could manage was to hold my head and scream. After about a minute, I was fine, but I started shouting for Randy to bring me a trash bag. He got there just in time and I was very sick to my stomach for the rest of the day. I couldn't even keep down a sip of gatorade. By Sunday, I was fine, but still a little iffy from the experiences the day before. By the late afternoon I was basically back to normal. I thought maybe it was a 24hr bug? Until Monday.
On Monday my left eye felt like it had a lot of pressure, and my left temple feels really tender as well. Since then, I've been a little worried that maybe the stomach problems were actually neurological since they didn't start until after the horrible pain in my head. Who knows. Now it's Wednesday and the pressure has gotten worse. As of now, the earliest I will be in to see my doctor will be next Thursday. I was able to talk to my medical assistant for my neurologist yesterday, but not my neuro-ophthalmologist. Basically, I have instructions to go to the ER if the pain gets worse or if I start getting physically sick again.
Fortunately, I was going back next Thursday anyway to look into getting some glasses. I knew from what I had read about papilledema, the condition I had caused by the pressure on my optic disc, there was always a chance some of my vision loss could be permanent. I've almost been on my treatment for a month now and while I can see night and day better than what I could before I was treated, it's not the almost 20/20 vision I've had most of my life. Fortunately, it was only the far right corner of my right eye and the far left corner of my left eye that seem to still be affected, so I can handle that. I've really come to terms with it. I'm just so thankful that they figured out what was wrong before I lost more of my sight. I'll take losing a tiny percentage any day. The glasses are just to help with the slight blurriness I still have as a result. Things could be worse. I could be learning braille. I am blessed.
I am also going to resume seeing my normal neurologist again to figure out "the why" in the equation. As much as I like my neuro-ophthalmologist, he seems to be content with my treatment as long as it's not negatively impacting my sight or the optic disc and he is no longer focused on why I have the increased pressure to begin with. As this is not typically a condition one simply wakes up with, there is almost always a why. Not really his area, I suppose. Oh well! My neurologist is fantastic as well, but her hours are kind of difficult with my schedule. C'est la vie!

So that's what has been going on since my last post and pretty much all that will be going on until my next one :)

Have a lovely day!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

And if you're crazy and already in Christmas mode, Merry Christmas, too! :)

Blessings,
E





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic