C O F F E E : Turkish Style

If you love coffee - especially strong coffee - allow me to rock your world. When I say "strong" coffee, I mean STRONG. Like, smack you AND your mom in the face strong.

Randy and I had our first date at an Egyptian restaurant - among other places.
We went to 4 different places - He had it all planned out!

We revisited the same restaurant last year and I had some of their "Turkish Coffee". Whoa baby. You can't drink more than an espresso shot full...MAYBE two. I had two. I'm a glutton for punishment, and strong coffee. I loved it! It was a life-changing experience!
Okay, I'm being pretty dramatic, but it is very strong and very good!

Anyway, my amazing husband decided to be extra amazing, and he bought me the little pot and special coffee to make my own! Fortunately, the restaurant was selling both for very little. I think it was maybe $15 for both? AND I got them to write down how to make it :)

So today I was feeling like coffee would be a great way to start the day, but my keurig is broken, and my coffee maker was kind of out of commission because I accidentally left some coffee in the filter and it became a science experiment...yuck! I used to have a french press, but when I was moving a few years the glass beaker broke :( I also have an espresso machine I got for free a few years ago, but I was told to stop drinking so much of it a few years ago by some doctors and the water tank got coated in a bunch of mineral buildup in the time lapse. I have tried to clean it out, but it just isn't the same.
- So basically I have a ton of ways to make coffee, and they all have problems :( So I pulled out the turkish coffee as an act of desperation.



Here's how you do it:



Get your cute little pot out and fill it with about 3/4 cups of water.
Add approximately 3tspns of sugar (mine is yellow-ish because I used raw sugar)
 - note: knowing how ridiculously strong this is, and I typically like a little taste of sweetness in my coffee, I added 3 small packets of raw sugar instead of measuring teaspoons. Not very good for you, but it had just enough sweetness-
Bring it to a boil and stir the sugar and water until it dissolves.


Next, measure out 3tspns of turkish coffee. Turkish coffee is SUPER fine, cocoa powder fine. I measure mine out beforehand because it needs to go in quickly once the water is boiling.

Stir it in to the water once it comes to a rolling boil (take off the heat now), and keep stirring until there's a slight foam. Pour it into a cup, add cream if you want, and enjoy!


I usually let mine sit for just a minute because, in case you didn't notice, you don't strain this coffee. If you drink it immediately after stirring, it has a slight grittiness to it, but if you let it settle a second, it's very clear and smooth - no grit!

I forgot to take a picture once it was in my cup, but it's soooo good :)


It's definitely one of those things you'll either love or hate, but I encourage you to give it a shot if you love coffee.
Note: it has to be made like this in order for it to be Turkish Coffee. If you stick it in a coffee pot, french press, or anything else, it won't taste the same. In fact, then it will just be normal coffee...

Beware: coffee never really affects me in terms of making me wired or tired, but this stuff does make me feel a little jittery. So if coffee normally gives you a boost, you might be like Speedy Gonzales for a while after drinking it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic