Safe

I had an interesting thought as a sweet kitten came to snuggle in my lap this afternoon...

Meet Penny -

Penny is a super sweet cat, but she's definitely the worrier of the pack. She hates being picked up unless you do it a certain way, which usually includes holding her feet so she isn't dangling,  but even still you can feel her little body tense up. She panics when you leave her in a room, and she generally loves to be near you and less on you like her two siblings. Though she loves to play fetch (weird, right?) she won't go after her toy mouse if one of the other cats or the dog is near where it lands. She just looks back at you with a terrified expression. Penny definitely wears her worry on her sleeve...er, fur? So today as she came to cuddle on my lap, which I LOVED, I noticed something as I went to rub her head - she watched my hand come near her with fear. As soon as I touched her head her expression softened, but it made me a little sad to think she was afraid of my touch. I have never once harmed this kitten, but she had a moment where she wasn't sure if I was there to harm her or comfort her.

Then my mind thought of how God holds us as well. We are perfectly safe in His arms, but sometimes our minds would rather worry than rest in His comfort. Time and time again, He reaches out to love on us and we flinch because we assume we know all the answers. Sometimes we run to Him for comfort, but refuse to let Him. I'm reminded of a line from a Nickel Creek song that says, "Sometimes I pray for a slap in the face, then I beg to be spared cause I'm a coward." He has never hurt us, nor will He, but He often receives the blame for the work of sin and darkness in the world, while we try to pull ourselves free from His grasp. We fear how others will see us, and we are terrified of being vulnerable. How much more sad do you think this makes our Heavenly Father?

He loves you.
He is for your good.
You will be safe in His arms.









Add caption

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic