Bountiful Baskets

I have a new favorite thing. It is called Bountiful Baskets, and if you like fruits and vegetables it should be your new favorite thing as well!

So you pay $15-$20 (I think it's different depending on where you live) and it's $25 if you want an organic basket. Honestly, I don't think I will ever pay for the organic basket because everything in the regular one usually tastes like it's organic. Also, I choose to get ours every week, verses every other week, so $25 a pop is a little steep for us. Anyway...you pay for your basket, and any bonus pack you want (see below for details) on Monday or Tuesday of the week you would like your basket. Monday is the earliest you can order and Tuesday around 10pm is the latest. Then, depending on where your nearest location is your pickup day should be either Friday or Saturday morning or afternoon. For example, my location is 11:45 am on Saturdays. You MUST pick up your order within 20 minutes of the time listed or the food is donated to food shelters. The only catch, aside from the time limit, is that they ask for you to volunteer once a month, since this is a co-op organization and is volunteer operated. It's simple - you just have to arrive an hour before the pickup to help sort the food. Now, no one holds a gun to your head to force you to volunteer, but imagine if no one volunteered...also, as a volunteer you get to choose one leftover fruit or veggie to take with you. Woohoo!

My favorite thing about this program is that I get to try some new fruits and veggies that I wouldn't have had access to, or simply wouldn't have chosen to pay for. Not to mention that I would pay at least $50 for all the things that usually come in a basket. It's really a steal!

This past week, we got these incredible grapefruit hybrids called "oroblancos" and they are officially my new favorite fruit, EVER. It kind of tastes like a grapefruit, but it's sweeter and not quite as tart as a normal grapefruit. They also aren't as acidic, so my teeth don't feel like they're about to fall out after eating a whole one. Since regular grapefruits were already high on my favorites list, these guys topped the charts.

Each basket normally comes with 3-5 of each item, and more if they give you potatoes or a box of strawberries/blueberries. I usually get maybe 6 or 7 potatoes, and we've gotten potatoes fairly often lately.
In the past, I've had blueberries, coconuts, pineapples, strawberries, spaghetti squash, oroblancos, ruby red grapefruit, zucchini, cucumbers (YUCK!), red and yellow bell peppers (the most expensive at the store!), incredible apples, oranges, eggplants, rainbow chard, broccoli, blood oranges, cauliflower, iceberg and romaine lettuce, red and yellow potatoes, yellow onions, radishes, roma tomatoes, and probably a lot more I'm not thinking of. Everything has been freakishly delicious!

They also have bonus packs you can buy from them that change every week. Some weeks you can buy 40lbs of apples or pears for $20, we've gotten a "tropical pack" from them for $15 that had kiwi, a coconut, key limes, mangoes, a pineapple, oranges, mint leaves, and a plantain. We have gotten their organic multigrain bread before, 5 loaves for $12.50, and there are so many other options every week.

I just love knowing that everything we get from them will be delicious (fact) and that even if I waste some of it, I still saved a ton of money not buying it at the store. Check out their website at this link and take a look at their FAQ, then see if there's a pick up location near you!

Here's our first basket we ever got and there's more that wouldn't fit into the picture! All of this was $32.50 (we got the tropical pack as well)


Note: Bountiful Baskets did not pay me to say any of this, though I wish they would ;) I would GLADLY be their cheerleader and spokesperson, haha.

I feel like this organization gives us a good chance to not only eat healthier without spending a fortune, but it also allows us to eat from the land God created for us. To see some of these crazy items we get like blood oranges, which literally have blood colored fruit, or the wacky spaghetti squash, it reminds me of how crazy, creative and thoughtful our Creator is. We are told to do everything well (Colossians 3:23), and I think that includes taking care of our bodies. I am NOT always successful (I mean, hamburgers...am I right?) but I feel like this is a good step in the right direction.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Love

Coconutty

Naturally Skeptic